Russell To Captain Scotland Against France
Finn Russell will lead Scotland as one of 13 changes to Gregor Townsend’s starting line-up for this Saturday’s Famous Grouse Nations Series encounter with France at Scottish Gas Murrayfield.
Darcy Graham, whose brace of tries helped Scotland to a 25-13 win over Italy at the weekend, retains his place in the back three, where he is joined by fellow wing Duhan van der Merwe and Blair Kinghorn at full back.
Sione Tuipulotu and Huw Jones, who were named in the 2023 Guinness Six Nations Team of the Championship, resume their impressive centre partnership with the former named as one of two vice-captains.
There is a fresh half-back pairing as captain Russell links up with scrum-half Ben White.
In the pack, Matt Fagerson switches to blindside flanker, as part of a back row also containing openside Hamish Watson and No 8 Jack Dempsey.
The experienced heads of Richie Gray and vice-captain Grant Gilchrist – 135 caps between them – line up in the second row.
Ewan Ashman gets the nod to start at hooker, alongside Pierre Schoeman (loosehead prop) and Zander Fagerson (tighthead) in the front row.
Rory Darge, who led Scotland to that Italy win, is one of five forwards named as replacements, with Dave Cherry, Jamie Bhatti, WP Nel and Scott Cummings listed as forward options, with backs George Horne, Cameron Redpath and Ollie Smith completing the matchday 23.
The Scotland team to play France in The Famous Grouse Nations Series at Scottish Gas Murrayfield on Saturday 5 August 2023, kick-off 3.15pm – live on Amazon Prime:
Starting Line Up
15. Blair Kinghorn (Edinburgh Rugby) 44 caps
14. Darcy Graham (Edinburgh Rugby) 34 caps
13. Huw Jones (Glasgow Warriors) 36 caps
12. Sione Tuipulotu (Glasgow Warriors) - Vice-captain - 16 caps
11. Duhan van der Merwe (Edinburgh Rugby) 28 caps
10. Finn Russell (Bath Rugby) - Captain - 69 caps
9. Ben White (Toulon) 14 caps
1. Pierre Schoeman (Edinburgh Rugby) 21 caps
2. Ewan Ashman (Edinburgh Rugby) 7 caps
3. Zander Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors) 58 caps
4. Richie Gray (Glasgow Warriors) 73 caps
5. Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh Rugby) - Vice-captain - 62 caps
6. Matt Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors) 34 caps
7. Hamish Watson (Edinburgh Rugby) 57 caps
8. Jack Dempsey (Glasgow Warriors) 9 caps
16. Dave Cherry (Edinburgh Rugby) 8 caps
17. Jamie Bhatti (Glasgow Warriors) 30 caps
18. WP Nel (Edinburgh Rugby) 54 caps
19. Scott Cummings (Glasgow Warriors) 26 caps
20. Rory Darge (Glasgow Warriors) 8 caps
21. George Horne (Glasgow Warriors) 20 caps
22. Cameron Redpath (Bath Rugby) 6 caps
23. Ollie Smith (Glasgow Warriors) 4 caps