Ritchie Returns As Captain For Second France Fixture
Jamie Ritchie is back to lead Scotland as one of the six changes to Gregor Townsend’s starting line-up for this Saturday’s return leg against France in Saint Etienne.
Following Scotland clinching the victory last weekend at Scottish Gas Murrayfield, try scorer Schoeman returns as loosehead prop with WP Nel and George Turner in fresh at tighthead and hooker.
Richie Gray and Grant Gilchrist continue in the second row, whilst there is change on both flanks with captain Ritchie coming in at blindside flanker and Rory Darge at openside. The back three is completed by Jack Dempsey, who retain his place at number 8.
Ali Price returns to the starting line-up at scrum-half, and his half back partner is last week’s captain, Finn Russell, who is listed as a vice-captain for Saturday along with Gilchrist.
Sione Tuipulotu and Huw Jones will start in the centre together for Scotland for the seventh time in 2023.
Kyle Steyn will start on the right wing, and Duhan van der Merwe and Blair Kinghorn maintain their positions at left wing and full back.
The bench allows for a six/two split this week as Townsend looks to maintain energy in the pack. Stuart McInally, Rory Sutherland, Javan Sebastian, Scott Cummings, Sam Skinner and Josh Bayliss are the replacement forwards, with George Horne and Ollie Smith selected as substitute backs.
Scotland team to play France in Summer Nations Series at Stade Geoffroy-Guichard, Saint Etienne on Saturday 12 August 2023, kick-off 8.05pm (UK time) – live on Prime Video.
15. Blair Kinghorn (Edinburgh Rugby) 45 caps
14. Kyle Steyn (Glasgow Warriors) 11 caps
13. Huw Jones (Glasgow Warriors) 37 caps
12. Sione Tuipulotu (Glasgow Warriors) 17 caps
11. Duhan van der Merwe (Edinburgh Rugby) 29 caps
10. Finn Russell (Bath Rugby) – Vice-Captain – 70 caps
9. Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors) 62 caps
1. Pierre Schoeman (Edinburgh Rugby) 22 caps
2. George Turner (Glasgow Warriors) 36 caps
3. WP Nel (Edinburgh Rugby) 54 caps
4. Richie Gray (Glasgow Warriors) 74 caps
5. Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh Rugby) - Vice-captain - 63 caps
6. Jamie Ritchie (Edinburgh Rugby) - Captain - 41 caps
7. Rory Darge (Glasgow Warriors) 9 caps
8. Jack Dempsey (Glasgow Warriors) 10 caps
16. Stuart McInally (Edinburgh Rugby) 48 caps
17. Rory Sutherland (unattached) 24 caps
18. Javan Sebastian (Edinburgh Rugby) 4 caps
19. Scott Cummings (Glasgow Warriors) 27 caps
20. Sam Skinner (Edinburgh Rugby) 26 caps
21. Josh Bayliss (Bath Rugby) 4 caps
22. George Horne (Glasgow Warriors) 21 caps
23. Ollie Smith (Glasgow Warriors) 4 caps